September 19, 2011

Costly Mistakes Aren't Thrifty

Due to some flooding issues, I had to do some repairs to my bedroom floor and a small portion of one wall.  I needed another gallon of paint to cover the repaired area of the wall and I couldn't find the old paint can, but I was so proud of myself for remembering the name of the paint that I'd used.

I couldn't find the paint chip at Lowe's on an earlier trip, but I'd hoped that they could find it in the database by name.  While waiting for my turn at the paint counter a few days ago, I went back to have another look at the paint chips.  Voila!  There it was, plain as day - Foxtrot.  I grabbed the chip and had my gallon of Valspar mixed up in no time.

Last night while getting ready for bed I was thinking about a friend coming to help paint today, and I had a revelation.  Foxtrot is the color I painted the bathroom last year, not the bedroom!

I now have an extra gallon of paint in a color I don't need, so that's almost $30 lost, and now I have to figure out another way to match the correct paint color.  Of course I have no idea of the name of the color I need, so I'm in a pickle.  I may have to bring in something that's a close match and get enough to paint the whole room again.  Not very frugal of me and I can't believe I made that costly mistake.

This isn't a very nice way to start the week.



No comments: