December 19, 2008

Last Minute Gifts

Today will be a better day, I promise! God has seen fit to give me a new one, and I will make the most of it.

On that note, I thought I'd share something a bit less morbid - an idea for last minute Christmas gifts, including an eco-friendly way to wrap that gift.

An acquaintance on another forum mentioned wrapping your gifts in the reusable bags you can purchase at most grocery and department stores today instead of wasting money on wrapping paper that will be thrown away. A lot of people use gift bags anyway, and you can pick up one of the more eco-friendly tote bags for about the same price. You won't be spending any extra money, and the wrapping becomes a gift in itself, and won't be adding to the landfill. It doesn't get any better than that!

I took that idea and went one step further. If you're stumped as to what to buy for a particular person, don't buy something they may not want or like, which might end up in the landfill - buy a gift card and insert it into the reusable bag from the same store. Voila, the perfect gift!

I would attach the card to the handle of the bag with a piece of yarn or raffia and then tuck it inside the bag to make sure the recipient could find it easily.

You can get gift cards at most any store you can imagine - major department stores, hardware and home improvement stores, grocery stores - and most of them will have the re-usable tote bags with their logo as well, so you should be able to use this idea for most anyone on your list.

Merry Christmas everyone - and let's don't forget the reason we celebrate. Happy Birthday, Jesus.

2 comments:

awisdom said...

Great ideas! We've done similar here. One example is that if I was giving clothing, I'd wrap it in a laundry bag. If the gift was bath & body stuff (lotion, soaps, bath salts) I wrap it in a nice wash cloth or towel. It's sort of fun to come up with unique and functional was of wrapping things.

Amy Hyder said...

This is a great idea. This morning on the Today show they were decorating brown paper grocery bags. I like your idea better!