April 23, 2015

BEST dog brush for thick undercoat

I've had dogs all of my life, and many of them German Shepherds with a thick undercoat that is almost impossible to keep up with.  If you have a GSD, you know what I'm talking about.  You need this deshedding tool!

Even though Molly (my 85 lb. Golden Retriever/St. Bernard/German Shepherd mix) isn't a purebred, she sure sheds like one!  This photo shows just a small amount of the hair I get from a quick swish with a dust mop through the living room, and I can do it twice (or more) each day and still never get it all.  She sheds it faster than I can sweep it.  All.  Year.  Long.



I've tried all sorts of dog brushes and none of them have done the job well.  I'm cheap, so hate to spend a lot of money on a good brush if I don't know if it's going to be worth it.  When I was offered the Desheddinator at a discount if I'd provide a review, I jumped on it, and so glad that I did.  I can't believe how well this brush works at pulling out the undercoat with little effort.

The Desheddinator comes with two different heads that you change by just flipping from one to the other.  They're not detachable, so you don't have to worry about losing them.  When one is in use, the other tucks in out of the way.

You'll want to use a light hand when using the Desheddinator dog brush, but that's all you need.  The tiny teeth are close together and will grab the undercoat and pull it out easily.  The photos below show just how much of the thicker undercoat hair it grabbed with just a few quick swipes on Molly.  I had brushed her earlier in the day with a regular brush, and when I used the Desheddinator on her later, the yard was covered with dog hair!  It cleans out easily too, unlike some other regular bristle or metal toothed brushes.




I didn't have need to use the rake-like brush, but I think it would work well on dogs with longer coats, or perhaps curly/wiry ones.  The longer 'bristles' (they're not really bristles like other brushes) should reach down into the longer hair and grab it well.  Molly's hair is thick, but not long, so that particular part of the brush wasn't of much use to me, but the part of the Desheddinator with the short teeth that are close together is amazing.  I was able to purchase it at a discount, but I would gladly pay full price for this item now that I know how well it works.  If you know me at all, you know that I'm cheap and wouldn't throw that claim around lightly.  I wish I'd had it when I had a housefull of German Shepherd Dogs!

If you have a dog with a thick coat that ends up all over your house, you need this deshedding brush.

~ Marie Anne



No comments: